Thursday, January 21, 2010

Week 2 EOC - My Demographics

    The Baby Boomers generation is to me a generation of rebellion. It was a generation born between wars and involved in a war of breaking out of social norms. Being born between the years of 1946 and 1964 I am considered part of the Baby Boomer generation, however, being born at the end of the generation I felt a bit of an outsider. I was too young to be part of the "the movement", Vietnam, Woodstock, protests, drugs, which probably was a blessing in disguise.
    My childhood reflects the Baby Boomer generation; a household with two parents, my father worked and my mother stayed home and took care of the kids and household. There were five children in my family. In my family, the two eldest, my sister and my brother, were encouraged to continue school, but the rest of us, girls, were considered not smart enough to continue school and were encouraged to get jobs and get married, hopefully, in my mother's eyes, to a rich guy. This was what my parents did it and we were expected to follow in the their footsteps.
    But that did not work for me. The Baby Boomer generation seemed to be a generation that became aware, aware of our environment, aware of our health, aware of our spirituality, aware of what was going on in our world. We were not satisfied to live life as our parents did. We did not want to follow traditions just because our parents followed traditions and we were not afraid to let the world know what we wanted. The world around us was changing so quickly and I know I was looking for more meaning to my life.
    In general, Baby Boomers are associated with a rejection or redefinition of traditional values; however, I think values and ethics are very important to my generation. We are a hard working and dependable generation and we expect others to be the same. We expect quality, quality work, quality products and we are willing invest in quality and to spend money on quality.
    I do believe that the average Baby Boomer is active and affluent because of the values we hold. At an age where most of us are settled, with grown children, we are able to consider middle age a new start on life. We have seen our world go from an industrial society to one of technology that opened many doors of opportunity. I feel that at my age I have started a new life. Having the opportunity to go back to school and keep up with the changing technologies is exciting and opens up many new avenues to in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment